Sunday, January 26, 2014

HOW ABOUT POLKA DOTS?

Greetings!

This is only the second post of the Old School Chopper Blog and we've already achieved our first goal! We've made the purchase of a Harley-Davidson Sportster engine that we're going to use to build an authentic '80s era street chopper. My intelligent and considerate daughter Haley made the trip, as forecast yesterday with fiance Adam, and made the deal with Mark of Mesa. That sounds like an intriguing movie title, doesn't it? "MARK OF MESA!"

Haley reported that he was very nice, and helpful as they loaded the used, '86 vintage 4-speed into Adam's truck. Monday they're planning on taking it to my nephew Bryan's home and storing it in his garage until I make it there for Haley & Adam's wedding. Bryan is a clever, self-taught tinker in his own right and has a few metric bikes in his garage. I'm guessing he's going to want to mess with this old Sportster engine while it's under his roof. Go for it Bryan! Maybe he can sort through the box of parts for me that Mark included with the purchase of the engine.

In the meantime, I'm taking the time to search out the best frame I can find to help me get the look I'm after. Paughco seems to be the backbone supplier but I keep seeing frames from KraftTech. The KraftTech look nice but appear to have a bit too much stretch, and the seat downtube has a radical bow in it to clear the oil tank. I'm not sure I like that - it forces me to use one of their proprietary oil tanks too. 

Last night I stumbled upon a website of a company called AAOK.COM. They seem to have a decent inventory and a frame that may come close to what I'm after. I'll be checking on the reviews of others who may have used their frames and I'd like to see a mock up of a Sportster with their frame. 

It seems like the idea to buy an engine rather than a whole motorcycle has given me an advantage. I'll have to rebuild the engine, but I can do it in my own shop. I'll have a minimum of contracted labor costs that way and I should have enough $$ left over to pay for the frame. I plan to spend a great deal of attention on the engine and make it the focal point of the bike. I'm thinking of bead blasting the engine cases and heads and then clear coating them to preserve their base color. I've done that with my car engines and the engine seems to clean up easily and looks great each time it's washed.
Add caption
The cylinders will be painted black. I'm considering powder coating them, but I'll have to ask around to see if it traps too much heat in the engine. Next to the heads, the cylinders are the hottest engine component. 
I also like the look of the all bare aluminum engine. It looks very clean. The more black I use, the more sinister the motorcycle will look. That's good sometimes, but I think I'll have enough integrated sinister just with the lines of the bike. I've seen some engines that are all black with the edges of the fins filed. That's eye catching.
Who knows? Things have a way of evolving as the project develops. Also, Luis or Ruben may have a strong idea one way or another. I'd like to know what they think. More, as things come together!

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment